I’ve been searching for a place to hold a Residential Writers’ Weekend and a few weeks ago I was lucky enough to find this great venue owned by a writer in Cholderton which they tell me is only 4 miles from Stonehenge. It’s taken a while to work out the Nitty Gritty but without further ado, here it is:
Weekend Writers’ Getaway 16-18 October Cholderton
Does your writing need pzazz and pzing?
This weekend is ideal for kickstarting new dramas and kickboxing writers’ blocks. Using a secret melange of stimulating writing tasks and exploration of the surrounding rare breeds’ farm as a source of inspiration, participants can write, relax, and bounce ideas around in a dynamic yet supportive stratosphere. Here you can get away for some dedicated writing time in a peaceful environment where Roman, Iron and Bronze Age settlements lurk just below the surface.
Quote: ‘Now that my creativity and confidence has been freed again I am moving on towards my goal of a 90 minute play with renewed energy and clarity.’
Course Leader Angie Street is an experienced writing tutor and accredited writing coach (NAWE/Arvon/RD1st) with an MA in Scriptwriting. She has been running playwriting workshops at Salisbury Arts Centre, Salisbury Playhouse and throughout the South West. She actively encourages playfulness and risk-taking in the use of language, form and content.
The Nitty Gritty
Arrive Friday 16th October early evening and leave midday on Sunday 18 October.
£250 per person. Early Bird bookings before 30 June: £230 Price includes Tuition, Accommodation (2 nights) and all Meals, teas/coffees.
- Cholderton Stonehenge is a large and newly converted Youth Hostel, with a lounge, conservatory and gardens, on an old drove road close to Stonehenge and other ancient archaeological features on Salisbury plain.
- Writing sessions will take place in the Education Room.
- There is a separate licensed bar adjoining the hostel.
- You’re welcome to walk in the surrounding woods and coppices and you’ll have the run of the farm outside public opening hours.
- Accommodation is in shared rooms but you can ask to upgrade to single occupancy when booking but there will be an extra charge for this.
- State when booking if you want to share with a friend.
- Most rooms are ensuite.
- There is one wheelchair accessible room with ensuite.
- Please phone the hostel to discuss any special requirements 01980 629379.
To book a place
Email email@example.com stating WRITERS WORKSHOP in the subject line and giving a contact number.
Max 15 places available. (When the course is full we’ll keep a waiting list)
Because of the popularity of the venue, we’re sorry we’re unable to hold places on reserve.
Payment by credit card, BACS or cheque made out to Cholderton Rare Breeds Farm
£250 per person. Early Bird bookings before 30 June: £230
Refunds up to August 30, minus 10% for administrative costs.
We are unable to give any refunds after the 30 August 2015.
Nearest station is Grateley on the Waterloo – Exeter line
Local Taxis: Griff’s Taxi’s Tel: (01980) 594411 Ace Cabs Tel: (01980) 622219
By car – off the A303 near Andover. See
Cholderton Stonehenge Youth Hostel
tel. 01980 629379